Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Risk aversion

Most people who know me would probably agree that I save too much - I try not to spend more than I really have to. I think that the reason is that I'm more risk averse and possibly forward looking than most people. I know it is not purely rational and I have all reasons to believe that I will be earning (significantly?) more money than I do today. So, I'm occasionally thinking about suppressing the subconscious fear of spending and to learn (force myself) to spend more.
There are two good reason not to do that. First, I believe that one can get use to higher living standard very easily, but reducing it is very painful. Moreover, after you get used to your new standard, you don't feel any happier than before - only the transition brings extra utility.
Second reason is more complicated. As a young person, life seems long, I have a potential to earn a lot of money, I'm smart, educated, reasonably hard working, so why should I be afraid?
Well, things happen. Imagine that you are, say, 50 years old and you loose your job. You are going to loose your health insurance (in the US, fortunately not in CR), but you are likely to get more sick. You can't change your education or major - you are to old for that. You may have 30 years to live, but you don't have many years to earn living. You will have really hard time finding a new job. And if you are alone, there is nobody to help you.
Loosing your job in your 50s can basically end your happy life. I want to be ready for that. Feeling safe is more important to me than having a better pizza for dinner.

No comments: