Saturday, March 8, 2008

Microsoft

There are good reasons why I don't like Microsoft, but I don't want to turn is forum into M$ bashing site. But when you read something like this

Exploiting a little known feature built into Firewire port specifications, Adam Boileau released the source code to a utility authored in 2006 that allows anyone to bypass the Windows Authentication dialog box on any PC with a Firewire port.


Wait, it gets even better

Boileau says he decided to release the script now, two years after it was initially unveiled, because Microsoft had not acted to patch the vulnerability. Boileau considers his tool a “party-trick demo script thats been lying around my [home folder] for two years gathering dust,” and considers it “a pity to write code and have no one use it.”


I'm not sure why but "Open Source" sounds pretty loudly in my head right now.

No comments: